We are recruiting a full-time wine specialist to work with us at our shop in St Andrews.
We are looking for a wine & food lover who shares our commitment to finding the very best in the world of wine (not to mention beers, whiskies & spirits) and sharing their discoveries with our customers. We expect all our staff to work out what our customers want and recommend the best possible fits from our shelves, building strong relationships that lead to even better recommendations, repeat visits and the best possible retail experience.
You will assist in taking in deliveries, maintaining the high standards of display around the store and work closely with all members of the Luvians team (both in St Andrews & at our mothership in Cupar) to produce a friendly, creative retail environment.
We are open 7 days a week, so weekend work is expected. You will be primarily based in St Andrews, but occasional shifts at our Cupar site can be expected.
This position is permenant, full time and can be up to 45 hours a week on a shift basis. We operate a 3-month probationary period, after which we hope the successful applicant will be with us for many years.
- Deliver the highest possible standards of service, consistently exceeding customer expectations.
Demonstrate capacity for customer engagement & salesmanship including: approachability, perceptiveness, tact, sense of humour and willingness to take initiative.
- Deliver a well-stocked store with innovatively merchandised displays.
- Cash handling & processing of great accuracy & total trustworthiness.
- Attend regular industry tastings, with primary responsibility to share knowledge and learning from these events with staff members, while feeding back buying recommendations to the buying team.
Ideally You Will
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have an outgoing and lively personality
- Be flexible and committed to learning about all aspects of the store outside the world of wine.
- Be extremely enthusiastic about working in one of the UK’s best bottleshops and keen to explore the world of wine, whisky, spirits & beer with your fellow staff & our customers.
- Have a flair for visual merchandising.
- Have a longstanding passion for the world of wine is essential, previous experience within it is a bonus.
- Have a full, clean UK driver’s license.
When you send us your c.v, please tell us a little more about yourself:
- Why you are interested in becoming part of the Luvians team? What about working in the drinks industry excites you the most?
- Which bottle made you fall in love with all things wine?
Send that and anything else you want to tell us about yourself in a cover letter, along with your c.v, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Since we opened our first shop just over thirty years ago, Luvians has established itself as Scotland’s finest specialist, independent drinks retailer. Our philosophy is to stand out from the crowd; there is no point in being ordinary when there are so many shops and supermarkets that do ordinary very well, so we aim to be extraordinary.
This drive to be different, to help find the perfect bottle for every customer, no matter the occasion or budget, is why our range of wines is constantly changing. We cover Old World and New and start with bottles at under six pounds – purchased straight from vineyards so all the savings can be passed on to our customers. We also stock some of the most sought after wines in the world, some selling for tens of thousands of pounds a case. This has resulted in numerous awards in recent years including; Independent Rhone Retailer of the Year, #31DaysofGermanRiesling Retailer of the Year & just last year The Great British Sherry Festival Winner, Shop Rioja Small Merchant of the Year, the Think Indie Top 50 Independent Wine Retailers in the UK & even the Wines of Brazil ‘Best Window Display’!
Our range of single malt Scotch whiskies has become a source of both pride and international recognition, growing from just two when we opened just before Christmas in 1983, to over one thousand today. Recognised an ‘Icon of Whisky’ in 2011 by World Whisky Awards, Luvians has become synonymous with the very rarest and collectible of whiskies – our ‘Fine Wine & Whisky Room’ at the St. Andrews store and the ‘Great Wall of Malt’ in Cupar are home to ancient Mortlachs and Macallans, the silent stills of Brora and Port Ellen and many, many more. We also have some of the keenest prices you’ll find on your favourite single malts, with a large range of fantastic drams available for under thirty pounds a bottle.
Most recently, focussed mainly in our St. Andrews store, we have developed an outstanding range of craft beer, both home grown and international. Our rotating range of over four hundred beers showcases the very best in British brewing alongside the traditional powers of Belgium and Germany, and pits the mad scientists of Scandinavia against the cutting edge of craft brewing the USA. So whether you are looking for the finest local brew, a true taste of home or something altogether exotic, you’ll find it on our shelves.